~*~OK like I promised a few entries ago, here is my personal project:~*~
Sleep Apnea:
Types of Sleep Apnea/And what is Sleep Apnea:
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is defined as the cessation of breathing during sleep.
Apnea specialists generally agree that there are three different types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed. Of these three, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common; central sleep apnea is rare; mixed sleep apnea is a combination of the previous two with treatment being the same as OSA.
Obstructive sleep apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea is characterized by repetitive pauses in breathing during sleep due to the obstruction and/or collapse of the upper airway (throat), usually accompanied by a reduction in blood oxygen saturation, and followed by an awakening to breathe. This is called an apnea event. Respiratory effort continues during the episodes of apnea. An analogy might be helpful: OSA is like putting your hand over your vacuum cleaner intake nozzle. Your hand blocks all air from getting through (upper airway collapse) even though the vacuum cleaner is still applying suction (respiratory effort continues). The vacuum cleaner is usually straining somewhat at this time, and so does the human body.
Central Sleep Apnea
Central Sleep Apnea is defined as a neurological condition causing cessation of all respiratory effort during sleep, usually with decreases in blood oxygen saturation. To return to the vacuum cleaner analogy: central sleep apnea would be like pulling the plug on the vacuum cleaner. No power, no suction: if the brainstem center controlling breathing shuts down there's no respiratory effort and no breathing. The person is aroused from sleep by an automatic breathing reflex, so may end up getting very little sleep at all. Note that CSA, which is a neurogical disorder, is very different in cause than OSA, which is a physical blockage - though the effects are highly similar.
Mixed apnea
Mixed sleep apnea, as the name suggests, is a combination of the previous two. An episode of mixed sleep apnea usually starts with a central component and then becomes obstructive in nature. Generally the central component of the apnea becomes less troublesome once the obstructive apnea is treated.
**During the apneic event, the person is unable to breathe in oxygen and to exhale carbon dioxide, resulting in low levels of oxygen and increases levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. The reduction in oxygen and increase in carbon dioxide alert the brain to resume breathing and cause an arousal. With each arousal, a signal is sent from the brain to the upper airway muscles to open the airway; breathing is resumed, often with a loud snort or gasp. Frequent arousals, although necessary for breathing to restart, prevent the patient from getting enough restorative, deep sleep.
Symptoms or Effects of Sleep Apnea:
**Excessive daytime sleepiness/fatigue: falling asleep when you don't intend to. This could be almost anytime you are sitting down, such as during a lecture, while watching TV, while sitting at a desk, and even while driving a car. Even if you don't literally fall asleep, excessive fatigue (meaning, you got plenty of sleep and you're still really tired) could be an indicator.
**Unrefreshing sleep: with feelings of grogginess, dullness, morning headaches, severe dryness of the mouth.
**Most people with sleep apnea don't realize that they are awakening to breathe many times during the night. The arousal is slight, and people become accustomed to this, but it is enough to disrupt the pattern of sleep so that they get very little deep sleep or REM sleep, and awaken sleepy. REM sleep is when dreaming usually occurs, and lack of dreaming is also another indicator.
**People with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer. Therefore, sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality. Sleep apnea is very common and affects more than 12 million Americans
**Untreated sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gains/loss, impotency, and headaches. Also responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes.
**Because of the serious disturbances in their normal sleep patterns, people with sleep apnea often feel very sleepy during the day and their concentration and daytime performances suffer. The consequences of sleep apnea range from annoying to life-threatening. They include symptoms suggesting depression, irritability, sexual dysfunction, learning and memory difficulties and falling asleep while at work, on the phone or driving, falls asleep during the day at inappropriate times (such as while driving a car, working, or talking).
ADD:
~~Attention Deficit Disorder is a syndrome which is usually characterized by serious and persistent difficulties resulting in poor attention span, weak impulse, hyperactivity (but not in all cases).
Symptoms of ADD are:
~~Excessively fidgets or squirms
~~Difficulty remaining seated
~~Easily distracted
~~Difficulty awaiting turns in games
~~Blurts out answers to questions
~~Difficulty following instructions
~~Difficulty sustaining attention
~~Shifts from one activity to another
~~Difficulty playing quietly
~~Often talks excessively
~~Often interrupts
~~Often doesn't listen to what is said
~~Often loses things
~~Often engages in dangerous activities
Diagnostic Criteria for ADD:
Inattention:
A) Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities
B) Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
C) Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
D) Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish homework, chores or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
E) Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
F) Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
G) Often loses (or forgets) things necessary for tasks or activities (ex: toys, school assignments, pencils, books, tools, athletic gear)
H) Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
I) Is often forgetful in daily activities
Hyperactivity:
A) Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
B) Often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
C) Often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
D) Often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
E) Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
F) Often talks excessively
Impulsivity:
A) Often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
B) Often has difficulty awaiting turn
C) Often interrupts or intrudes on others (ex: at school or work and at home)
Depression:
~~Many people feel like they have no energy, and can't concentrate, feel irritable all the time for no apparent reason.
Depression: affects your appetite, sleep, work, and relationships
**Constant feelings of sadness, irritability, or tension
**Decreased interest or pleasure in usual activities or hobbies
**Loss of energy, feeling tired despite lack of activity
**A change in appetite, with significant weight gain or weight loss
**A change in sleeping patterns, such as difficulty sleeping, early morning awakening or sleeping too much
**Restlessness or feeling slowed down
**Decreased ability to make decisions or concentrate
**Feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, or guilt
**Thoughts of suicide or death, sometimes cutting themselves
~~Depression has no single cause; often; it results from a combination of things. You may have no idea why depression has struck you. Whatever the cause, depression is not just a state of mind. It is related to physical changes in the brain, and connected to an imbalance of a type of chemical that carries signals in your brain and nerves.
~~Family history: Genetics play an important part in depression. It can run in families for generations.
~~Things like financial problems, the breakup of a relationship, or the death of a loved one can bring on depression. You can become depressed after changes in your life, like starting a new job, graduating from school, or getting married
~~Women are almost twice as likely to become depressed as men. The higher the risk may be due partly to hormonal changes brought on by puberty, menstruation, menopause, and pregnancy.
~*~Ok So thats it, thats my project. I hope its helped you to understand a little more of why I am... the way I am. By the way all of the symptoms or characteristics that are listed, I basically have all of them or most of them. I believe each of these things are inter-related and each have an effect on the other. A cause and effect relationship. If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts, feel free to tell me, my email is in one of the last months entries (specifically December 28th). Oh and if you'd like to know the sources of this information, let me know and I’ll get them to you, but if you search for this stuff on the net its going to tell you basically the exact same thing. But ok I am going to go now, and dread the fact that I haven't done my research paper, and it was due today. I shall go stress out, and force myself not to cut my self. And for those of you who didn't know I was like this, everything is merely an act when I’m in public, no one really cares to know who I am on the inside, the information that is deep within me or they're just too scared to take a chance you learn and feel something new, of being afraid of being face to face with something so dark. People are simply afraid of the things that they do not understand. Its all an act, I do not wish to burden anyone with my problems, I do not want their fake sympathy and compassion, I do not need anyone pretending that they understand what I’m going through. I simply just want people to leave me alone, I mean in the sense that I don't wanting them pretending that they are curious, when really they could care less. I don't want anyone telling me "it will be ok" and stuff like that, you don't know what the future holds, I may not be alright, but right now I have to live in the present, and deal with things in these moments. Thats all I can do. Like I’ve said many times before, I live from moment to moment. But ok so I’m done for today. I'm going now, talk to ya laters.~*~
No comments:
Post a Comment