Wednesday, January 28, 2004

**Thoughts on Friendships**

We all have friends. We all have different types of friends. But is there anything particular that characterizes the degree of friendship you have with another? Now I'm talking about specifics here, and naturally they'd vary from person to person. Of course we all probably have a different classifications of friends.

Perhaps there are certain signs that are clear indications of how good of friends you are with another, and not just some sort of thing that "naturally" comes about. But rather, it's something that you do yourself to promote the friendship, to embrace a once loose bond and raise it to a higher degree. Let me explain. I'm not really sure how many degrees of friendships I consider myself, but if I were to pick a number, I'd probably lean toward five.

First, I suppose I'd have to describe peers and acquaintances. These are the people who I'll talk to in school, especially in classes, around the lockers, between periods, clubs - all that fun stuff. And perhaps I'll also talk to them online once we're out of school, in the case that I'm actually online. We have some nice conversations now and then, but it's nothing to make me wipe a tear or anything. Nice friends, these people be.

At an early stage, there's some sort of hand-greeting. Sometimes, it's a handshake, but usually it's a high-five, since the former tends to be used with the more meaningful-friends (that's not to say high-fivers aren't significant, though).

I suppose next on the line would be the phone call. If I'm willing to spend more than a casual minute or two in conversation with a person outside of school (and not necessarily on a regular basis...just in general), then it's usually an indication that I prefer them over acquaintances and those who are merely high-fivers. And that's not to imply that someone who I don't call isn't a good friend; it just means I'm probably not as close as I am with the following types of friends.

In considering the friendships I have, I'd have to say if I'm even better friends with a person who I talk to on the phone, once we come up with a nickname, that's usually an indication of an even better friendship (in relation to how I think of it). Usually this falls hand-in-hand with the previously mentioned degree, but not always. Nicknames, silliness, absurd conversations...fun times.

Now we're getting into more of the higher degrees which I couldn't really describe. I know at the end there are those all-wonderful friendships in which I'm willing to share very personal information, but I can't figure out if there's anything before that. I guess I could consider "late night" conversations as a characteristic of a level, but really those are just more significant phone conversations that lead into this "last" level. So let's just say that's the last level.

So, uh, yeah I guess that's sort of it. Five levels, woo hoo.

Now if you read this, please don't be offended. I'm simply trying to figure myself out, as always. And I'd like to make a general point across that people don't just go up a ladder, first attaining all the characteristics of the previous degrees. I'd have to say plenty of people skip, as well as start off in different places. That's just sort of how our lives are, though, you know? We're not all born rich, we're not all born poor.

Oh, and there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. So don't think I'm trying to be restrictive. Eh, so what kinda' friend do you think you are to me? Or a more worthwhile question: what are the things you do with friends with which you have different levels of friendship?

Food for thought. Whatever that means. Lol well actually I do know what that means.


~~Life in the Fast Lane, or so it seems~~

Ever get that feeling that life is passing you by, and yet you can easily go ahead with the flow of things, but something just doesn't seem right. You want to stepforward, but something's keeping you from doing so...something's holding you back, and you don't feel comfortable continuing on until everything is settled first. Most people just tend to go with the flow, and in the process never really learn to live life to its fullest. I mean what happened to stopping and smelling the roses. If you just go through life easily, do you really have a true experience of it. Perhaps thats why its difficult to move on sometimes, cause they're afraid of moving on cause they might miss a single moment of something. I believe life is like a rollercoaster, only they are two different rides. One is completely fast and its over almost as soon as it began. But the other, goes fast and then goes on to a hill, and it has to push and pull its way up to the top-and its a longer process, and then there are more faster moments and then you hit another slow spot. Whats the fun of a ride that stops almost as soon as it began.

If you run through life without even looking around once in awhile, it'll be over before you know it, and then have regrets that you didn't do very much with your life. So take the second rollercoaster, it may go fast for awhile in life, but just stop and really live, let go, do something and put all of your heart into it, really enjoy the moment. And not to sound cheesy or anything, but live every moment like its your last, cause well you never know when your ride will be over. A zen value: put a 100% of yourself into whatever you do, whether it be walking, watering flowers, kicking a ball around, or even simply breathing. Every moment is precious, cherish them.

Wow this entry seems to be really inspiring huh? Its been awhile. Laters

No comments: